WHO WE ARE
A Sisterhood of Irish and Irish-American, Catholic Women, The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians is a National organization officially recognized in Omaha, Nebraska in 1894 as the “Daughters of Erin.” It is felt that the Ancient Order of Hibernians had always had women as a support group, but due to the “Secret” societal aspect of the Order, the men chose not to acknowledge the women. However, being of the “Matriarchal” heritage that is ours, the women sought their own identity and finally at the National Convention in Omaha, Nebraska in May 1894 the men relented and allowed the formation of the “Daughters of Erin.” In 1906, the name was changed to “Ladies Auxiliary to the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America”. In 1984, the Ladies voted to change their name to “The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians.” In 2004 we have been officially incorporated on our own as Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, Inc.
The Ladies AOH has changed in many ways over the decades but still we hold true to our MOTTO of “Friendship, Unity and Christian Charity. We are pledged to God and Country. The primary purpose of the Ladies AOH was to protect young immigrant Irish girls coming to the United States, to assist them in securing employment, to give them the opportunity to be with their own kind, and to keep them from becoming homesick and discouraged. The Preamble of our Constitution states that the intent and purpose of the Ladies is to promote Friendship, Unity and Christian Charity among its members; assisting the people of Ireland to establish an Irish Republic which shall include the 32 counties of Ireland, aiding the aged, sick, blind and infirm members and for the legitimate expense of the Ladies, including Missions work and Catholic Action. The Ladies also foster the ideals and perpetuate the history and traditions of the Irish people and promote Irish culture. Our Patron Saint is Saint Brigid of Ireland.
The LAOH Allegheny County Division of Pennsylvania co6 consists of six Divisions and the Allegheny County Board.